Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Bridge House



Marker ID: GHM 047-2
Location: in front of the Albany Visitors Center on Front Street, Albany, GA
County: Dougherty
Coordinates: N 31° 34.648    W 084° 08.936
  31.577467    -84.148933
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8VXC
The Bridge House  Marker  



Text:

Here, at the site of an early ferry over the Flint River, Col Nelson Tift, owner of bridge and ferry rights and the founder of Albany, had a toll bridge constructed by a well known bridge builder, a freed slave named Horace of Columbus. At the same time, in 1857, Col. Tift built this "Bridge House" with the archway serving as entrance to the bridge. The bridge keeper occupied one side of the ground floor; Col. Tift´s office, the other. The second floor was a theatre, known as "Tift´s Hall ". Decorated by New York artists, it was considered the most beautiful in the state. Many leading actors - Laura Keen, Sothern, Mrs. Oates, Sol Smith Russell, Harry McCarthy, the Crisp family, the Templetons - appeared on its stage. At this social center of Albany, dances, masked balls, public social events were held.

During the War Between the States, the great cellars of this building were converted into packing houses and the back yard became a slaughter pen. Thousands of cattle, hogs, and sheep were barreled in pickle for the use of the Confederate Navy.

GHM 047-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

The Bridge House

Notes:

The Bridge House originally held the office of Albany founder Col. Nelson Tift and the office of the bridge toll taker. This structure best respresents the community's historic relationship with the Flint River.

 

047-2