Historic Markers Across Georgia



Albany's First Brick House



Marker ID: GHM 047-3
Location: 516 Flint Street, Albany
County: Dougherty
Coordinates: N 31° 34.791    W 084° 9.644
  31.57985    -84.16073
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3RQK
Albany's First Brick House Marker  



Text:

Built of brick hauled from Macon by wagon, this house was completed in 1860 by Congressman William R. (Tete) Smith for his bride, Caroline Williams Smith. The interior trim and mahogany stair rail came from New York; the furnishings were imported from England. Flower beds were laid out in Masonic designs with statues of Minerva and Flora prominently displayed. Captain of the Albany Guards of the 4th Ga. Regt., Smith lost a leg in the Battle of King´s Schoolhouse, Virginia. Member of the Confederate Congress and, later, of the U. S. Congress, he was an able lawyer and a beloved citizen of Albany.

GHM 047-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 
Albany's First Brick House
Albany's First Brick House


 

047-3