Historic Markers Across Georgia



Albany Lights - 1889



Marker ID:  
Location: Located in the sidewalk in front of the Chamber of Commerce on W. Broad Ave., Albany, GA.
County: Dougherty
Coordinates: N 31° 34.623    W 084° 09.148
  31.57705    -84.15247
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: WM8XA4
Albany Lights - 1889 Marker  



Text:

On February 9, 1889, the first electric lights brightened Broad and Washington Street in Albany. The City had the first Edison municipal incandescent system ever erected in the South, making Albany famous and attracting tourist from throughout the state to see the new lighting system.

City of Albany



 

Albany Lights - 1889


 

047-A2