Historic Markers Across Georgia



Douglas County



Marker ID: GHM 048-1
Location: on U.S. 78 at old Douglas County courthouse, Douglasville
County: Douglas
Coordinates: N 33° 45.018    W 084° 45.036
  33.7503    -84.7506
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2V4H
Douglas County  Marker  



Text:

This county, created by Act of the Legislature October 17, 1870, is named for Stephen A. Douglas, the ´Little Giant,´ a Vermonter who was Congressman from Illinois 1843 to ´47, Senator from ´47 to ´61, and Democratic candidate for President in 1860 on the ticket with gov. Herschel V. Johnson, of Georgia, for Vice President. Among the first County Officers were: sheriff T.H. Sellman, Clerk of Superior Court A.L. Gorman, Ordinary Wm. Hindman, Tax Receiver Jno. M. James, Tax Collector M.D. Watkins, Treasurer C.P. Bower, Coroner S.W. Biggers and Surveyor John M. Hughey.

GHM 048-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

048-1