Historic Markers Across Georgia



Kolomoki Mounds Archaeological Area



Marker ID: GHM 049-10
Location: Kolomoki Mounds State Park at Museum
County: Early
Coordinates: N 31° 28.088    W 084° 56.899
  31.46813333    -84.94831666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Kolomoki Mounds Archaeological Area Marker
Photo by Ed Jackson



Text:

You are at the edge of one of the largest and most important mound groups in the southeastern United States. Most of this complex of mounds was constructed about A. D. 200-600. Archaeologists call this period the Middle Woodland Period and the particular time the Swift Creek because the pottery types found here are similar to those found at the Swift Creek site in Central Georgia. Mounds D and E which is partially covered by the museum, were explored in the 1940's and 50's by Dr. William H. Sears. Sears found evidence of elaborate burials that reflected the lifestyles of a highly complex culture that was rich in art, craft and tradition. The museum is now part of a memorial to a great man who was buried here. Mound D. 500 yards east, revealed more knowledge about the people who lived here and 800 yards east stands the 57 feet high mound called the Great Temple Mound.

GHM 049-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 2001



Kolomoki Mounds State Park at Museum
Kolomoki Mounds Archaeological Area
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

(from the original Marker)
During the 13th century, Kolomoki, with its villages, burial mounds, temple mound, and ceremonial plaza, was the largest ceremonial center in Southern Georgia. A population of two thousand in the main village at that time is not improbable.

Scientific excavations demonstrate that two groups inhabited this site. The first settlement, about 800 A.D., was made by Indians who combined features of the Swift Creek culture, of local origin, and the Weeden Island culture which had developed farther to the south. About 1000 A.D. this culture developed into the Kolomoki culture which continued, in the burial mounds, Weeden Island features.

The seven mounds preserved within the park were built by the Kolomoki people, who occupied the site until about the 13th century. Mound A, which was built solely as the base for a temple, is one of the largest in the United States.

During the 16th century part of the site was occupied by Indians of the Lamar culture. They were ancestral to historic tribes of this area. Exhibits in the museum depict Indian history in this area from about 5000 B.C. to the end of the Kolomoki period, sometime during the 13th century.

A Registered National Historic Landmark of the United States Department of the Interior.

GHM 049-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1966


More information:
Wikipedia - Kolomoki Mounds Historic Park
Georgia Stae Park - Kolomoki Mounds Historic Park

Wikipedia - Woodland period

 

049-10