Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Kolomoki Indian Mounds



Marker ID: GHM 049-10
Location: Kolomoki Mounds State Park at Museum
County: Early
Coordinates: N 31° 28.088    W 084° 56.899
  31.46813333    -84.94831666
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
The Kolomoki Indian Mounds Marker
Photo by Ed Jackson



Text:

During the 13th century, Kolomoki, with its villages, burial mounds, temple mound, and ceremonial plaza, was the largest ceremonial center in Southern Georgia. A population of two thousand in the main village at that time is not improbable.

Scientific excavations demonstrate that two groups inhabited this site. The first settlement, about 800 A.D., was made by Indians who combined features of the Swift Creek culture, of local origin, and the Weeden Island culture which had developed farther to the south. About 1000 A.D. this culture developed into the Kolomoki culture which continued, in the burial mounds, Weeden Island features.

The seven mounds preserved within the park were built by the Kolomoki people, who occupied the site until about the 13th century. Mound A, which was built solely as the base for a temple, is one of the largest in the United States.

During the 16th century part of the site was occupied by Indians of the Lamar culture. They were ancestral to historic tribes of this area. Exhibits in the museum depict Indian history in this area from about 5000 B.C. to the end of the Kolomoki period, sometime during the 13th century.

A Registered National Historic Landmark of the United States Department of the Interior.

GHM 049-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1966



 
Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia - Kolomoki Mounds Historic Park
Georgia Stae Park - Kolomoki Mounds Historic Park

Wikipedia - Woodland period

 

049-10R