Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Flag Pole



Marker ID: GHM 049-3
Location: Courthouse in Blakely
County: Early
Coordinates: N 31° 22.678    W 084° 56.06
  31.377966    -84.93433
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM2VE
Confederate Flag Pole Marker
Photo by BackPak



Text:

This flag pole [no longer standing] from which the Stars and Bars proudly flew is the last original Confederate flag staff still standing in Georgia.

The stalwart pole was hewn from a long leaf pine tree that grew one mile southwest of this city in Early county. It was hauled by a yoke of oxen into Blakely and erected where it now stands by Thomas Williams and others on

MAY 16TH, 1861.

GHM 049-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954




Confederate Flag Pole
Photo by BackPak



 

049-3