Historic Markers Across Georgia



Covered Bridge 2 mi.



Marker ID: GHM 049-7
Location: 1 mile S of Ga 62 at Sowhatchee Creek
County: Early
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Covered Bridge over Coheelee Creek, two miles north on the Old River Road, was ordered built by the Early County Board of Commissioners in 1883. It was erected by J. M. Baughman.

Commissioners were J. S. Moseley, W. C. Sheffield, H. C. Fryer, and J. P. Lane. The Peter Early Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, were made custodians of this bridge by order of The Board of Commissioners of Roads and Revenue of Early County, on August 6, 1957. C. E. Martin, Chairman; Mrs. George Nelson, Regent, DAR.

Source: Georgia Historical Markers; by Carroll Proctor Scruggs; Bay Tree Grove publishing, 1973; page 183



 
Notes:

Bridge burned 1968