Historic Markers Across Georgia



Covered Bridge



Marker ID: GHM 049-8
Location: Ga 62 6 miles SW of Blakely
County: Early
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Covered Bridge over Sowhatchee Creek, one mile south, was built during the covered bridge building era in Early County, about 1833, by J. W. Baughman. Road Commissioners were L. G. Kirkland, William Howard and Alegnon Mills. The preservation of this bridge was given over to the Peter Early Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, by order of the Board of Commissioners of Roads and Revenues of Early County, on Aug. 6, 1957. DAR Bridge Committee:

Mrs. R. C. Singletary, Sr., Mrs. J. W. Bonner, Mrs. J. G. Standifer.

Source: Georgia Historical Markers; by Carroll Proctor Scruggs; Bay Tree Grove publishing, 1973; page 182



 
Notes:

replaced by HCC marke