Historic Markers Across Georgia



Centerville United Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 8 miles S of Blakely on Three Notch Road
County: Early
Coordinates: N 31° 16.464    W 084° 53.765
  31.2744    -84.89608
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAKV5
Centerville United Methodist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

[Side 1]
The Centerville Methodist Church was organized in 1891, and the people of the community erected the first church building eight miles south of Blakely on Three Notch Road. It was a pine log structure with posts in the middle section for support and two single doors for entering the church. The original floor joists and ceiling trusses, which were made of whole pine logs, are still in place. A wood stove was placed in the middle of the room to warm the congregation. The church was dedicated on August 7, 1898, with Rev. C.C. Lowe serving as its first pastor. In 1976, the social hall was added and synthetic siding installed.

[Side 2]
Ben Johnson and his wife, "Miss Ellie," attended the DuBose Methodist Church located six miles away until they were caught in a rainstorm that frightened their house. In an attempt to get a church nearer home, Ben Johnson and Dick Mock rode for several days before finding someone to donate land for the church. Most of the land in the area was mortgaged because of the Civil War but Elias Harper deeded four acres to church trustees, Ben Johnson, Sam Roe Johnson and John King to be used for a church and a cemetery. "Miss Ellie" named it Centerville because it was in the middle of the community.

ERECTED BY THE
THE CENTERVILLE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
AND THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION
1966



Centerville United Methodist Church
Centerville United Methodist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

049-A1