|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Georgia
Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge
The construction of this 121-foot bridge at McDonald´s Ford was first authorized by the county in 1833, though construction was delayed until 1891. It was completed in four months by J.W. Baughman and thirty-six workers as a modification of the queen post truss design. The trusses have a horizontal cross piece extending across a center post flanked by two compression timbers slanting down and outwards with a set of iron rods slanting down and inwards. The concrete abutments were added in 1958. This bridge is the southernmost covered bridge remaining in Georgia.
Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of
Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration