Historic Markers Across Georgia



Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge



Marker ID: GHS 49-1
Location: at Fannie Askew Williams Park on Old River Road 2 miles north of Ga 62
County: Early
Coordinates: N 31° 18.405    W 085° 4.737
  31.30675    -85.07895
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPBZ
Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge  Marker
Photo by BackPak



Text:

The construction of this 121-foot bridge at McDonald´s Ford was first authorized by the county in 1833, though construction was delayed until 1891. It was completed in four months by J.W. Baughman and thirty-six workers as a modification of the queen post truss design. The trusses have a horizontal cross piece extending across a center post flanked by two compression timbers slanting down and outwards with a set of iron rods slanting down and inwards. The concrete abutments were added in 1958. This bridge is the southernmost covered bridge remaining in Georgia.

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of
Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration
2000.10 49-1



Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge
Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge
Photo by BackPak



 

049-A5