Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hilton School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Ga 62 at Hilton
County: Early
Coordinates: N 31° 17.749    W 085° 3.523
  31.295816    -85.05871
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAKV3
Hilton School Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Formal education began in 1897 on land from J.C. Hudspeth and Mrs. Elizabeth Freeman. A petition in 1924 halted a new school at Water Ford. In 1925 a spacious masonary [sic] school opened one mile west of this marker for students from Freeman, Hilton, Rock Hill and Sowhatchee. The name was changed to Hilton Consolidated School. In 1932 students came in from Byrons Academy, Centerville and Lucile. Vocational classrooms, canning plant, lunchroom and gymnasium enhanced the complex before the high school closed in 1955. An elementary school continued until 1960. Many lives and destinies were shaped here.

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION

AND FRIENDS OF HILTON SCHOOL

1994




Hilton School
Photo by Ken Moser



 

049-A7