Historic Markers Across Georgia



Early Baptists at Tuckasee King



Marker ID: GHM 051-10
Location: 2.75 miles north of Clyo on Ga 119
County: Effingham
Coordinates: N 32° 31.573    W 081° 16.183
  32.526216    -81.26971
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD8E6
Early Baptists at Tuckasee King Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Soon after 1767, the Rev. Benjamin Stirk, who had been baptized at the Orphan House, visited Tuckasee King and, finding a number of Baptists there, began to preach to them. As there was then no Baptist Church in Georgia, an arm of the church at Euhaw, South Carolina, was established at Tuckasee King, and the Rev. Mr. Stirk ministered there until his death in 1770.

The little band of Baptists at Tuckasee King then invited the Rev Edmond Botsford to come to them. He accepted, preaching his first sermon June 27, 1771. The Rev. Mr. Botsford remained at Tuckasee King only one year, but it was here that he began his missionary work along the Savannah River and in the adjoining area, which was to continue until the Spring of 1779, when he was forced to flee Georgia, a fugitive from the Tories.

GHM 051-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958




Early Baptists at Tuckasee King
Photo by Ken Moser



 

051-10