Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Ebenezer



Marker ID: GHM 051-14
Location: Ga 21 at Log Landing Rd South of Ebenezer
County: Effingham
Coordinates: N 32° 20.775    W 081° 16.064
  32.34625    -81.26773
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCXQ5
Old Ebenezer Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

About .5 miles East on this Road is the site of Old Ebenezer, the first settlement of the Salzburgers in Georgia. They selected this location and named it Ebenezer -- the stone of help. General Oglethorpe marked out their town, and soon they erected homes and some public buildings. The settlers remained at this site two years, despite many hardships, including the difficulty in navigation of the stream upon which their town was situated. In February, 1736, the Salzburgers, now 200 in number, asked for and received permission to abandon this site and move to a more desirable location, one now known as New Ebenezer.

GHM 051-14 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958




Old Ebenezer
Photo by Ken Moser



 

051-14