Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sherman's Left Wing



Marker ID: GHM 051-16
Location: Ga 21 in Springfield, GA
County: Effingham
Coordinates: N 32° 21.996    W 081° 18.552
  32.3666    -81.3092
Waymark: WMNV50
Sherman's Left Wing Marker
Photo by Tim Walleker



Text:

On Dec. 8, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman´s army [US], which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, was moving through Effingham County toward Savannah. Hq. Left Wing, Maj. Gen. H. W. Slocum, USA, was here in Springfield. The 14th Corps (Davis) was encamped at Ebenezer Church. The 20th Corps (Williams) had passed through Springfield and was encamped on the Eden road.

On the 9th, Hq. Left Wing moved forward to Monteith. By the evening of the 11th, both the 14th and 20th Corps were in line facing the Confederate fortifications of Savannah and the Siege of Savannah had begun.

GHM 051-16 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

051-16