Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Mount Pleasant



Marker ID: GHM 051-18
Location: Kildare to Clyo road 5.5 mi above Clyo, near Taylor Church
County: Effingham
Coordinates: N 33° 45.024    W 084° 45.013
  33.7504    -84.75021
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Two miles east of here, on a bluff fronting Savannah River, is the site of Mt. Pleasant, a former Uchee Indian town and English trading post. Even before the foundation of Georgia, the spot was a key point on an arterial Indian path which had long been used by Carolina traders.

In July 1739, Gen. Oglethorpe began his noted journey at Mt. Pleasant to treat with the Creek Indians at Coweta Town on the Alabama side of the Chattahoochee River, below today´s Columbus. During the early years of Georgia, the Colony maintained a garrison and small fort at Mt. Pleasant, under the command of Capt. Thomas Wiggin, an Indian trader.

GHM 051-18 Georgia Historical Commission 1959



 

 

051-18