Historic Markers Across Georgia



Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church 6 mi.



Marker ID: GHM 051-2
Location: Ga 21 between Rincon and Springfield at Ga 275
County: Effingham
Coordinates: N 32° 20.137    W 081° 15.437
  32.335616    -81.25728
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4MVP
Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church 6 mi. Marker  



Text:

Built in 1767 - 69 by Lutheran Protestants who came to Georgia in 1734 after being exiled from Catholic Salzburg in Europe, the church is officially name Jerusalem Church. It stands on the site of a wooden building probably erected soon after the congregation moved from Old Ebenezer to New Ebenezer in 1738. During the Revolution the British used the Church as a hospital and stable and the metal swan on the belfry still bears a bullet hole. Though the town of Ebenezer no longer exists the Church has an active congregation of about 450 members.

GHM 051-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

 

051-2