Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old River Road



Marker ID: GHM 051-3
Location: Ga 275 at the old Ebenezer cemetery
County: Effingham
Coordinates: N 32° 22.395    W 081° 10.956
  32.37325    -81.1826
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCT26
Old River Road Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The Old River Road, one of Colonial Georgia´s leading thoroughfares and the first highway to connect Savannah and Augusta, passed here. It was initially opened as a horse path by direction of General Oglethorpe in the 1730´s. During the early years of the Province this route was the longest white man´s way in Georgia. Eventually the trace became one of the ´King´s Roads´ of the Colony. In this section and in several other areas substantial stretches of the old course are now abandoned.

GHM 051-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1956




Old River Road
Photo by Ken Moser



 

051-3