Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bethany



Marker ID: GHM 051-7
Location: On Clyo-Stillwell Road
County: Effingham
Coordinates: N 32° 24.516    W 081° 14.578
  32.4086    -81.24296
Waymark: WMD6A4
Bethany Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The settlement of Bethany was effected near here in 1751 by John Gerar William DeBrahm, His Majesty´s Surveyor General for the Southern District of North America. Comprised at first of 160 Germans, the group was joined 11 months later by an equal number of ´Relatives and Acquaintances´. A commodious church edifice was built, also a school house and a residence for the teacher.

Bethany was in existence until the Revolution, but during that war it began to decay, and was never rebuilt.

GHM 051-7 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1988




Bethany
Photo by Ken Moser



 

051-7