Historic Markers Across Georgia



Zion Church



Marker ID: GHM 051-8
Location: Stillwell Road about 2 miles east of Rincon
County: Effingham
Coordinates: N 32° 18.742    W 081° 12.698
  32.312366    -81.21163
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Near here stood Zion Church, built by the Salzburgers some time before 1744, to serve the colonists who were rapidly settling below Ebenezer and along the road to Savannah. This was one of four Lutheran churches in the area later to be called Parish of St. Matthew.

In connection with Zion church, a regular school was instituted and kept up for many years, as was the rule at all the early churches of the Salzburgers in Georgia

GHM 051-8 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1996



 

 

051-8