Historic Markers Across Georgia



1790 Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground



Marker ID: UMC 15
Location: Ga 21 at the south edge of Springfield
County: Effingham
Coordinates: N 32° 21.303    W 081° 18.135
  32.35505    -81.30225
Waymark: WMNJKN
1790 Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground  Marker
Photo by Markerman62



Text:

Effingham Camp Meeting has the longest record of continuous service in South Georgia- from 1790 according to oral tradition. The first camp ground was off Sister´ Ferry Road on land of George Powledge, later sold to Gideon Mallette. In 1864 this site was burned during Sherman´s March to the Sea. In 1865 and 1866 encampment was held at Turkey Branch Methodist Church. In 1867, the camp ground was rebuilt on the Edward Bird tract at Springfield. In 1907, the present site was occupied after an exchange with G.M. Brinson.
August encampment includes the third Sunday.

No. 15 South Georgia Conference Methodist Church 1990



 

 

051-A1