Historic Markers Across Georgia



Pilgrim Missionary Normal and Industrial Institute



Marker ID: GHS 51-1
Location: west of Ga 17 at Pilgrim Walking Trail at Simmons St., near the northern city limits of Guyton
County: Effingham
Coordinates: N 32° 18.503    W 081° 23.526
  32.308383    -81.3921
Waymark: None
Pilgrim Missionary Normal and Industrial Institute Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

The Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Normal and Industrial Institute for Colored Students was established here in 1880 by the Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Association. The school was established, organized, funded and staffed by African Americans. The institute offered vocational classes in subjects such as carpentry and home economics. A donated printing press led to the development of a journalism program, allowing students to produce all printed materials for the Institute and the Asssociation´s newspaper, The Pilgrim Travler. After serving the black community for over fifty years, the Institute closed in May 1936 when Effingham County built a public training school for African Americans. The Institute building was later demolished.


Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Historic Effingham Society, Macedonia Baptist Church, and Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Association


2005.9 51-1



 

 

051-A3