Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Post Road



Marker ID: GHM 052-3
Location: Courthouse in Elberton, GA
County: Elbert
Coordinates: N 34° 6.582    W 082° 52.104
  34.1097    -82.8684
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM17NN
Old Post Road Marker  



Text:

This road, formerly an Indian trail which paralleled the coast, was used by the Spanish and British. In 1778 it was traveled by Revolutionary soldiers who marched against Fort Tonyn. The first mail service south of Savannah was established over this road in 1763. Later it became a regular stagecoach route.

At Coleridge, a short distance north of the present Waycross Highway, Job Tyson maintained a tavern for travelers along the post road. it was the only hostel between the Altamaha and Satilla rivers and was a regular stagecoach stop.

GHM 063-4B GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1996



 

 

052-3