Historic Markers Across Georgia



Gov. Heard's Home



Marker ID: GHM 052-4
Location: Ga 72 at road to Heardmont, southeast of Middleton
County: Elbert
Coordinates: N 34° 4.398    W 082° 44.694
  34.0733    -82.7449
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7J72
Gov. Heard's Home Marker  



Text:

Off this road lies the site of Heardmont home of Governor Stephen Heard, 1740 - 1815 and ´God´s Acre´ the family cemetery where he lies buried. A ten acre park surrounding the site is owned and maintained by the Stephen Heard Chapter, D.A.R. A Virginian of Irish descent, Heard came to Georgia establishing Heard´s Fort, now Washington, Ga. in 1773, and fighting with Elijah Clarke at the Battle of Kettle Creek was captured. As President of the Council, he was de facto Governor for a period in 1781. After moving to Heardmont he was one of three who settled the site of Elberton.

GHM 052-4 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

052-4