Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bethlehem Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 052-7
Location: Just off Ga 72 about 12 miles southeast of Elberton
County: Elbert
Coordinates: N 34° 3.906    W 082° 41.082
  34.0651    -82.6847
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7J75
Bethlehem Methodist Church Marker  



Text:

Bethlehem Methodist Church, second oldest Methodist Church in Georgia and formerly known as Thompson´s Meeting House, sponsored the First Methodist Annual Conference in Georgia, on April 9, 1788. Bishop Asbury and his party, delayed by weather and illness, held the meeting, scheduled for the church, in the home of Judge Charles Tait. Richard Ivey, Thomas Humphries, Moses Parks, Hope Hull, James Connor, Bennett Maxey, Isaac Smith, Matthew Harris, Reuben Ellis, John Mason attended the conference. Several Revolutionary soldiers are buried near the church.

GHM 052-7 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

Bethlehem Methodist Church


 

052-7