Historic Markers Across Georgia



Colonist's Crossing



Marker ID: GHM 052-8A
Location: GA 72 at Bobby Brown State Park Rd., about 1 mile west of the Savannah River.
County: Elbert
Coordinates: N 34° 03.709    W 082° 39.164
  34.06181666    -82.65273333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7J78
Colonist's Crossing Marker  



Text:

COLONISTS´ CROSSING
8 mi.


´The Point´, where early settlers crossed into Georgia, is eight miles east of here. As soon as this are was ceded, Governor Wright opened a post at the confluence of the Broad and Savannah Rivers, known as Fort James. ´The Point´ became the gateway for settlers from Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina who registered there and secured their tracts of land. A land court at Dartmouth, which grew up around the fort, was held from September 1773 through June 1775 to open this section. In 1777 all this ceded land was, by the State Constitution, created into Wilkes County.

GHM 052-8A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

Colonist's Crossing


 

052-8A