Historic Markers Across Georgia



Stinchcomb Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 052-8B
Location: GA 17 about 4 miles northwest of Elberton
County: Elbert
Coordinates: N 34° 8.274    W 082° 56.61
  34.1379    -82.9435
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM7JBA
Stinchcomb Methodist Church Marker  



Text:

Stinchcomb Methodist Church was one of the first churches in this section of the state. On Dec. 30, 1794, Middleton Wood granted to Absalom Stinchcomb, John Gatewood and John Ham, the ´privilege to erect a meeting house on his land on waters of Dove Creek´. The first building was a log structure. by 1850´s the church acquired surrounding property. The present building has been in continuous use for over 100 years. The sills are handhewn, 14 inched square. Among the old graves in the churchyard cemetery is that of Dionysius Oliver, Revolutionary soldier.

GHM 052-8B Georgia Historic Marker 1996



 
Stinchcomb Methodist Church
Stinchcomb Methodist Church


 

052-8B