Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Petersburg



Marker ID: GHM 052-9B
Location: Bobby Brown State Park
County: Elbert
Coordinates: N 33° 58.031    W 082° 34.471
  33.96718333    -82.57451666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1784, General George Matthews brought a number of Virginians and Caolinaians, large tobacco planters, to settle this section. Dionysius Oliver laid out the town of Petersburg, on the site of the earlier settlement of Dartmouth, at the union of the Broad and Savannah Rivers, and built a large tobacco warehouse. Among the early settlers were Governor William Wyatt Bibb and Judge Charles Tait, who served together in the U.S. Senate (1813- 17), the Shackelfords and other prominenet Huguenot families. Both Petersburg and the old road from Petersburg to Augusta are now under water.

GHM 052-9B Georgia Historic Marker 1996



 

 

052-9B