Historic Markers Across Georgia



Memorial Park History



Marker ID:  
Location: Marker is at Memorial Park on N Oliver St (Georgia Route 77), Elberton, GA.
County: Elbert
Coordinates: N 34° 7.354    W 082° 51.717
  34.12256666    -82.86195
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM8A15
Memorial Park History Marker  



Text:

On April 4, 1923 Ora Eugene Tate, Sr. deeded this 1.8 acre tract of land to the ladies of the Service Star Legion of Elbert County. The deed stipulated that the parcel of land must be perpetually used and maintained as a memorial park. The further consideration of his donation was the desire to honor the memory of his son, Lieut. Edmund brewer Tate, III, killed in action in the Argonne forest battle near St. Juvin, France on Oct, 12, 1918 and his other sons Jean H.Tate and Ora E.Tate, Jr. who served in WWI together with all their comrades from Elbert County. He dedicated the land as a memorial to them and their services for their country and the world, From 1923-1984 the Service Star Legion Park was managed by the patriotic ladies of the S.S. Legion. Early development of the park included a large landscaped raised star in the center with five walkways to each point, a tall flagpole placed in the center of the landscaped star, a planted magnolia tree honoring U.S. President Woodrow Wilson, and live oak trees placed around the perimeter honoring the soldiers of WWI. The ladies erected the first WWI memorial on Nov, 11, 1938. On April 18, 1984 the park was donated and deeded to Elbert Country, Georgia and renamed "Elbert County Memorial Park," It is managed by a board of trustees.



 

Memorial Park History


 

052-A4