Historic Markers Across Georgia



Emanuel County



Marker ID: GHM 053-1
Location: Located on the former Emanuel County Courthouse square, Swainsboro, Ga.
County: Emanuel
Coordinates: N 32° 35.816    W 82° 20.077
  32.59693333    -82.33461666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7V7H
Emanuel County  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County, created by Acts of the Legislature December 10, 1812 & December 6, 1813, is named for David Emanuel, Governor in 1801, several times a legislator, and President of the Senate. A place 1 mile from the center of the County was designated as County Site in 1814 and named Swainsboro for a prominent local family in 1822. The name was changed to Paris in 1854 but the original name was later revived. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Josiah Whitney, Clerk of Superior & Inferior Courts Stephen Rich and Tax Collector & Receiver James Fitzgerald.

GHM 053-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954




Emanuel County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

053-1