Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Savannah Road



Marker ID: GHM 053-6
Location: US 1 .2 mi S of Jefferson County line at rd to Coleman's Lake
County: Emanuel
Coordinates: N 32° 48.653    W 082° 24.162
  32.810883    -82.4027
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNV53
Old Savannah Road Marker
Photo by Tim Walleker



Text:

The highway joining from the east is the Old Savannah Road, one of the earliest thoroughfares wet of the Ogeechee River and a former leading way from Savannah to Georgia´s western frontier. The State ordered its lower section opened as early as 1777. The route followed the course of an Indian trail that led to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, below Milledgeville. There it intersected the famous Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta to the Creek Indians in western Georgia, In time the trace grew into a leading vehicular way between Savannah and Milledgeville . Much of the thoroughfare remains in use.

GHM 053-6 Georgia Historical Commission



 

 

053-6