Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Savannah Road



Marker ID: GHM 053-7
Location: Ga 56, 2 miles south of Ogeechee River at County Road 449
County: Emanuel
Coordinates: N 32° 47.063    W 082° 14.712
  32.784383    -82.2452
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The highway crossing here is the Old Savannah Road, one of the earliest routes west of the Ogeechee. It followed the course of an Indian trail to the Rock landing on the Oconee, below today´s Milledgeville. There it intersected from the main Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta to the Creek Indians of western Georgia. It is believed General Oglethorpe travelled this way in 1739 on his trip to treat with the Indians at Coweta Town, on the Chattahoochee river, below Columbus, in present Alabama. He left from Mt. Pleasant, to the eastward on the Savannah River, and probably joined this route via a connecting trail that crossed Ogeechee at Paramore Hill.

GHM 053-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

053-7