Historic Markers Across Georgia



Evans County



Marker ID: GHM 054-1
Location: Courthouse on US 280 in Claxton
County: Evans
Coordinates: N 32° 9.686    W 081° 54.441
  32.161433    -81.90735
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3HXY
Evans County Marker
Photo by onfire4jesus



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature Aug. 11, 1914, is named for Gen. Clement A. Evans, soldier, lawyer, minister, statesman & author, who died in 1911. He commanded Gordon´s old division in the last charge of the Army of Northern Virginia and surrendered under Lee at Appomattox "with guns still hot from firing until the last hour." Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff T.W. Rogers, Ordinary W.H. Brewton, Clerk of Superior Court T.R. Tippins, Tax Receiver A.V. Smith, Tax Collector Daniel Sikes, Treasurer James S. Hogan and Surveyor A.D. Eason.

GHM 054-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954




Evans County
Photo by onfire4jesus



 

054-1