Historic Markers Across Georgia



Holly Grove African Methodist Episcopal Church



Marker ID: GHS 56-1
Location: 400 Holly Grove Church Road, Peachtree City
County: Fayette
Coordinates: N 33° 21.381    W 084° 31.765
  33.35635    -84.52941
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6A42
Holly Grove African Methodist Episcopal Church  Marker  



Text:

This church was organized in 1897 near the banks of Camp Creek in an unincorporated area of western Fayette County. Until the first sanctuary was constructed here on land and with building materials donated by Flem Arnall, services were held under a brush arbor and in homes. In the early years worship services were held once a month. From 1897 until desegregation in the 1960s, the church also operated a school here for the community´s black children, grades 1-7, with donated text books. The present structure, constructed in 1980, was annexed into 28-year-old Peachtree City in 1987.

56-1 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, the City of Peachtree City,
and Peachtree City Heritage Historic Preservation Committee 1999.10



 

 

056-HS1