Historic Markers Across Georgia



Starr's Mill



Marker ID: GHS 56-2
Location: at the mill pond on Ga. 85 south of Fayetteville
County: Fayette
Coordinates: N 33° 19.719    W 84° 30.488
  33.328650    -84.508133
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6A41
Starr's Mill Marker  



Text:

The property that became Starr´s Mill was owned by Hananiah Gilcoat who built the first mill here before his death in 1825. This site, on Whitewater Creek, was less than a mile from the boundary between Creek Indian lands and the State of Georgia. Hilliard Starr, who owned the mill from 1866 until 1879, gave the site its current name. After the first two log structures burned, William T. Glower built the current building in 1907. This mill operated until 1959, using a water-powered turbine, instead of a wheel, to grind corn and operate a sawmill. The Starr´s Mill site also included a cotton gin and a dynamo that produced electricity for nearby Senoia.

2004.5 Georgia Historical Society 56-2



 

 

056-HS2