Historic Markers Across Georgia



Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church



Marker ID: GHS 56-4
Location: 148 Old Chapel Lane, Fayetteville 30215
County: Fayette
Coordinates: N 33° 26.726    W 084° 31.276
  33.44543333    -84.52126666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7QAE
Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Today´s Flat Rock AME Church originated in 1854 as a place of worship for slaves on nearby Spears Plantation, and it is believed to be the oldest African-American congregation in Fayette County. Originally known as Rocky Mount, the church moved after the Civil War and was known for a time as Scufflefield. By 1898 the church, now called Flat Rock AME, and the adjoining cemetery were established at this location. Like many African-American churches during the era of segregated schooling, Flat Rock served both the spiritual and educational needs of the community. The congregation was also involved in the establishment of several local congregations including Little Vine Baptist Church, Edgefield Baptist Church, and Wilkes Grove.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, the Fayette County Historical
2006.8 Society, and the Fayette Heritage Project 56-4




Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

056-HS4