Historic Markers Across Georgia



Floyd County



Marker ID: GHM 057-10
Location: old Courthouse in Rome, GA
County: Floyd
Coordinates: N 34° 15.364    W 085° 10.268
  34.256066    -85.17113
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2NCK
Floyd County Marker  



Text:

Floyd County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 out of Cherokee County. Originally, it included parts of Chattooga, Polk and Gordon Counties. Early settlers came from Tenn., S.C., and older parts of Ga. The county was named for Maj. Gen. John Floyd (1794-1829), Legislator, Congressman, Gen. of Ga. Militia, Commander of Ga. troops against the Creeks in 1813 and Commander of troops at Savannah. First officers of Floyd County, commissioned March 18, 1833, were: Andrew H. Johnston, Sheriff; Edwin G. Rogers, Clerk Superior Court; Philip W. Hemphill, Clerk Inferior Court; John Smithwicke, Surveyor; Lemuel Milligan, Coroner.

GHM 057-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

057-10