Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Mountain School



Marker ID: GHM 057-13
Location: Behind the abandoned school in Everett Springs
County: Floyd
Coordinates: N 34° 29.825    W 085° 6.929
  34.497083    -85.11548
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Everett Springs Seminary, antecedent of the famous Martha Berry Schools, was chartered in 1889 in Floyd county. The school, which was in existence until 1908, was the first mountain school in Georgia which had boarding facilities for its students.

The pupils at Everett Springs Seminary were expected to do their own cooking and housekeeping in the little cottages which surrounded the schoolhouse. The schoolhouse and cottages were built by the community of Everett Springs for the school.

In 1892 Professor W. J. Moore of Tennessee was elected Principal of Everett Springs Seminary. The following year he was reelected Principal and made President of the Board of Trustees. His brother Issac Moore was elected Assistant. For many years the brothers ran the school and won the love and admiration of the mountain children whom they taught. The pupils of W. J. Moore, who meet annually for a reunion at the old schoolhouse remember that their professor commanded such respect that a word of disapproval was often discipline enogh for the high spirited pupils of Everett Springs Seminary.

GHM 057-13 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

 

057-13