Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sardis Presbyterian Church and Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: 7104 Ga 20, near Coosa, between Ga 100S and Ga 100 N
County: Floyd
Coordinates: N 34° 15.931    W 085° 22.718
  34.26551667    -85.37863333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5TJD
Sardis Presbyterian Church and Cemetery  Marker  



Text:

The first residence of missionaries sent in 1821 to establish the Turnip Mountain Mission to the Cherokees was located on this site, just north of the Cemetery wall. The mission, later known as Haweis, was built two miles to the east. Sardis Presbyterian Church was organized in November 1836. The first building, a log structure covered with plank, stood north of the Church. The present building was erected in 1855. The Sardis Brigade of the 6th Georgia Calvary was organized here May 9th 1861. Of the more than 235 graves in the Cemetery, 18 have been identified as those of Confederate veterans. The church became inactive in 1979 and in 1989 was deeded to the Sardis Preservation Society.

Placed on the National Register of Historic Places of the United States Department of the Interior January 2005



 

 

057-A6