Historic Markers Across Georgia



Forsyth County



Marker ID: GHM 058-2
Location: Courthouse in Cumming
County: Forsyth
Coordinates: N 34° 12.391    W 084° 8.369
  34.206516    -84.13948
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM67M
Forsyth County Marker  



Text:

Forsyth County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 from Cherokee County. It was named for Gov. John Forsyth (1780-1841), a native of Frederick Co., Va., a graduate of Princeton, and gifted Georgia lawyer. He was Attorney-General of Ga., Congressman, Senator, Minister to Spain, Governor, and Secretary of State under Presidents Jackson and Van Buren. First officers of Forsyth County, commissioned April 20, 1833, were: John Blaylock, Clerk of Superior Court; Thomas Burford, County Surveyor; Alston B. Wilborn, Coroner. Hubbard Barker was commissioned Sheriff, January 31, 1834.


GHM 058-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

058-2