Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cumming Historic Cemetery



Marker ID: FCHS 
Location: at the old cemetery on Ga. 20 at Resthaven St. in Cumming
County: Forsyth
Coordinates: N 34° 12.257    W 084° 08.289
  34.204283    -84.13815
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2EZ3
Cumming Historic Cemetery  Marker  



Text:

In 1834, Moses Whitsett was the first person buried on the property which in 1840 became the cemetery for the Baptist Church and the Presbyterian Church. In 1856, the Presbyterian Church disbanded. When the Baptist Church relocated, the cemetery became the property of the City of Cumming, which is the County Seat of Forsyth. Some of Cumming´s earliest leaders are interred in the municipal cemetery. Included are William H. Ray, Aulston B. Welborn, H.L. and Almon Hutchins, E.C. McAfee, Rufus E. Guthrie, George and Thomas Willingham, Haynie S. Brooks, henry Hurt, A.C. Kennemore, Henry Lowndes Patterson and Col. Hiram Parks Bell; a lawyer, author, orator, Mason, Civil War soldier and U.S. Congressman.

HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF FORSYTH COUNTY 1957



 

 

058-A2