Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cumming School



Marker ID:  
Location: 101 School Street, Cumming, GA
County: Forsyth
Coordinates: N 34° 12.467    W 084° 8.227
  34.20778333    -84.13711666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6XJC
Cumming School Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Cumming School
Built 1923


Cumming School, erected in 1923 by J. W. Fleming and Jim Hughes to house students in grades 1 through 11, burned in 1927. The same contractors rebuilt the structure.

The school served all grades until 1955, when high school students transferred to a new facility. In 1961, elementary students departed, and in 1974 the remaining pupils left. The building then served as the school system administrative office until 1999, when it was purchased and later restored by the City of Cumming.

2006 by Historical Society of Forsyth County.




Cumming School
Photo by David Seibert



 

058-A5