Historic Markers Across Georgia



Poole's Mill Covered Bridge



Marker ID: GHS 58-1
Location: on Poole's Mill Park on Poole's Mill Rd off Ga 396
County: Forsyth
Coordinates: N 34° 17.447    W 084° 14.551
  34.290783    -84.24251
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM14YQ
Poole's Mill Covered Bridge Marker  



Text:

Cherokee Chief George Welch constructed a grist mill here on his extensive homeplace c. 1820. An uncovered bridge was later added. With the 1838 removal of the Cherokees, the land was sold to Jacob Scudder. Dr. M. L. Pool purchased it from Scudder´s family in 1880. Abandoned in 1947, the mill burned in 1959. The original bridge washed away in 1899 and was replaced with the present 96-foot structure in 1901. Constructed in the Town lattice design by Bud Gentry, the bridge´s web of planks crisscrossing at 45- to 60-degree angles are fastened with wood pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection.

GHM 2000.7 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and the Historical Society of Forsyth County, Inc.




Poole's Mill Covered Bridge
Photo by David Seibert



 

058-HS1