Historic Markers Across Georgia



Franklin County



Marker ID: GHM 059-1
Location: 1 Courthouse on GA 59 in Carnesville
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 34° 22.188    W 083° 14.111
  34.3698    -83.23518
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5NX8
Franklin County Marker  



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 25, 1784, is named for Benjamin Franklin, Revolutionary patriot and statesman. It was formed from lands obtained from the Indians by the Treaty of Augusta, 1783. Capt. James Terrell of the Revolution was an early settler. Volunteers from Franklin Co. under Capt. Morris distinguished themselves at the Battle of Pea River Swamp, Mar. 25, 1837, in the Creek Indian War. The present County Site was established by Act of Nov. 29, 1806, at Carnesville named for Thomas B. Carnes, member of the Third Congress, 1793-´97.

GHM 059-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

059-1