Historic Markers Across Georgia



Carroll's Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 059-3
Location: on GA 145 at Jackson Bridge Rd, 2 miles southeast of Carnesville.
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 34° 21.554    W 083° 12.516
  34.359233    -83.2086
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5NXC
Carroll's Methodist Church Marker  



Text:

2 ½ mi.

Instituted in 1797, this church was named for the William Carroll family, among its first members. Families identified with the church through the years are McWhorters, Osborns, Starrs, Stones, Browns, Burtons, Sewells, jacksons, Humphills, Deans, Buffingtons, Cheeks, Mabrys, Turmans, Stricklands, Carsons, Hayes, Greens, Millers, and many others. The present building erected about 1835 was restored in 1951-52 under the leadership of Bishop John H. Baker. Rev. Nelson Osborn (1797-1873) was a lifelong member and minister for many years. A numbers of other well-known Georgia ministers have served the church.

GHM 059-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

059-3