Historic Markers Across Georgia



Poplar Springs Methodist Camp Ground



Marker ID: GHM 059-5
Location: On GA 327 about 2.5 miles south of Jackson Bridge Road
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 34° 20.188    W 083° 9.065
  34.336466    -83.15108
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7JHP
Poplar Springs Methodist Camp Ground Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Camp meetings have been held here each year from 1832,except four years during the War Between the states. The 50-acre plot, "extending one-half mile in every direction from the preacher´s stand" was purchased by from Daniel and Jacob Groover for $25 by William Hammons, John F. Wilson, George Shell, John B. Wade, Dennis Phillips, Thomas King and Rev. Nelson Osborne, Trustees. The first meeting, August 1832, was held under a brush arbor with 30 tents on the ground. Women were seated on one side of the arbor: men on the other John W. Osborne, appointed usher served at every meeting until his death in 1914.

GHM 059-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



Poplar Springs Methodist Camp Ground
Poplar Springs Methodist Camp Ground
Photo by Ken Moser



 

059-5