Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hebron Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: GHM 059-6
Location: GA 59 near the Banks County line, Carnesville GA
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 34° 18.356    W 083° 22.594
  34.30593333    -83.37656666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMG9MD
Hebron Presbyterian Church Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Hebron Presbyterian Church
>>>>--- 2 mi. --->


Hebron Presbyterian Church was organized in 1796 by Rev. John Newton, a native of Pennsylvania. Rev. Thomas Newton, a younger brother, was the first pastor. First elders were John McEntire and Samuel Makie, natives of Ireland, and Thomas Mayes and William Fleming, from Pennsylvania. Churches organized out of Hebron were: Carnell (Homer), Mount Hermon (Ila), Harmony, Hartwell, Carnesville, Mayesville, Commerce, Cornelia and Hopewell. Nine ministers have gone out from this Church. The work of the church is still carried on by the descendents of its founders. The present building was erected in 1884.





059-6 1957



Hebron Presbyterian Church
Hebron Presbyterian Church
Photo by David Seibert



 

059-6A