Historic Markers Across Georgia



Double Branches Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 059-6B
Location: GA 327 at Double Branches Church Rd, NE of Jackson Bridge Rd
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 34° 22.526    W 083° 8.674
  34.375433    -83.14456
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5NXP
Double Branches Baptist Church Marker  



Text:

--- ½ mi. --->

Constituted in 1801 this church had 19 charter members. First a member of 13 churches to form the Tugalo Association in 1818. Some members came many miles in wagons and buggies to attend its services. Among the early pastors were John Sandridge, Francis Calloway, John A. Davis, Samuel B. Sanders, John G. York, and W.F. Bowers. Davis and Bowers " departed the Association because of ladies wearing jewelry, and Free Masonry to form the Reformation Church" a short lived group of churches in this area. This building was erected in 1911.

GHM 059-6B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



Double Branches Baptist Church
Double Branches Baptist Church
Photo by David Seibert



 

059-6B