Historic Markers Across Georgia



Poplar Springs Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 059-8
Location: On GA 328 about 5 miles north of Lavonia
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 34° 30.352    W 083° 6.647
  34.505866    -83.11078
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5NXW
Poplar Springs Baptist Church Marker  



Text:

Established in 1805, Poplar Springs Baptist Church, "Mother Church" of the Tugalo Baptist Assn., began in May of that year. Some of the first members were Joseph Chandler, Thomas Wilkins, John Nail, John Mullins, and James Jackson, John Cleveland, Thomas Gilbert, Francis Calloway JR, were early pastors. Many landowners and slaves were members. The slave cemetery is to the right of the church on the Yow estate. On Sept. 12, 1818, delegates from 13 churches met here to form the Tugalo Baptist Assn of the Southern Baptist Convention. The present auditorium was erected in 1873. The educational building was built in 1955.

GHM 059-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

059-8